Jan 17, 2009

Ramblings On a Winter Day


Flurries and more flurries. Though beautiful and relaxing to watch out my window...the cold is just COLD. I'm just *making* it through winter this year. For some reason I use to love the cold weather of winter but now that I have little kids that love to play outdoors and MY interest in the outdoors has been perked through hiking last summer and gardening a bit...I must say that from now on I have decided to be a spring and summer gal.

Presently I'm listening to Trin scream in her room...she's been a little naughty today and SOOO grumpy so she's getting a little *alone time.* Brady on the other hand has been an angel and is enjoying a nice warm bubble bath. I put the little space heater in the bathroom to warm things up and he'll probably play in the water for about a hour. He listens to songs coming from his bedroom stereo and plays with his little plastic animals...usually lining them up around the edge of the tub in a very orderly fashion. Sometimes I wish I could be a kid again...

Our house is very cold. I'm thankful for our gas logs because the temperature in here drops so fast...I'll have it warmed up to about 73 degrees, turn the logs off to spare some fuel and then within a hour it has dropped down to 65. That's about as low as I can take it. I wear socks and slippers and my feet are still numb...I'm thinking of make a tincture that warms your blood...you use cinnamon and ginger.

Speaking of tinctures....I'll be blogging all about my new love soon. I've been treating us *naturally* now for about 6 months but still haven't made any homemade cough syrups and all that jazz. Well, my baby got me Herbs for Dummies for Christmas and it explains in depth how to make tinctures, different herbal tea blends - I'm VERY excited to begin. I just need to slowly work on stocking up a few items. The Bulk Herb Store is probably where I'll order from since the owner is the daughter of Micheal and Debi Pearl and is SOOO amazing and has wonderful products. I also love how her site is so detailed...there are a couple of tutorials that I watched recently and they have inspired me even more. Zac has had a cold the last 3 days and he's been a very willing *guinea pig.* Might I just say again how WONDERFUL of a husband I have. I mean really? Would most men you know let there wives rub minced garlic and olive oil all over their feet and chest? How about making exciting teas with apple cider vinegar, honey and lime. But he willingly drank everything and ate everything and did wonderfully. He's feeling some better...about the same "better" as you would if you were on a med for 3 days. So in my mind that's success...plus we are now following up with boosting the vitamin C and some other nutrients since there seems to be something going around. Hopefully the kids won't get it...at least until I have my new herbs to play with. :)

4 comments:

Grammy said...

You have some great ideas, there. Ask Dan about his concoction for colds. I got one while there and he gave me a combination of vitamins and Mucinex that really knocked it out quickly.

MOM said...

It sounds like you are ready for some warmer temperatures. This past week has been bone chilling. Thank goodness for a few rays of sunshine this afternoon. Our sunday school was canceled but we enjoyed attending worship. Spring will be welcomed when it arrives for sure!

Toplovs said...

Hmmm, I'm not sure Zhenya would allow me to rub garlic over him, but then again he'd probably love the fact that he's getting a massage! :)

I'm right with you....I'm a spring/summer/fall girl; I could skip winter no problem!

Rockin' Robin said...

Ginger tea is GREAT for colds! You shave a few pieces of fresh ginger in a cup of water and steep it. Opens the sinus' right up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...