Feb 15, 2010

You Say "Potato", I say "Patata"

Tristan has started LOVING solids so much that he yells for them....not coos or waves his hands in the air...but YELLS. It started out sort of cute but now it's a little obnoxious when mixed with the singing Trin and the car noises that constantly erupt from Brady's mouth. I don't use the word "erupt" lightly here. Brady will be playing quietly and I'll hear a light motor noise...followed by a much louder "cranking" noise that THEN turns into a freight train busting through the front window. I just about pee my pants every time.
Anyways...on to what this post is ACTUALLY about - making baby food from whole foods! Sometimes it's nice to have the convenience of a jar of food...when you are out and about or haven't gotten home in time to prepare something...but for the most part I really enjoy feeding Tristan from the family table. He already loves beans smashed up...guacamole, applesauce...but his MOST favorite of all is the common sweet potato. :) Nothing makes me smile bigger then my kids eating and enjoying a healthy food.
Start by peeling the potato and then dice it up...



Place the cubes in a pot and cover with water. It's fun to add a little cinnamon (did you know that cinnamon is an herb that promotes good digestion?) and then cook them until soft.



Mash with a fork or place into your baby food mill and just mash up....


You know what comes next folks...the moment of reckoning....the "will he eat this or is it going into the trash like many other wholesome colorful foods around here?"




Verdict is.....






HE LOVES IT!!!!




2 comments:

Summey Life said...

I am so jealous! Gaeb won't eat anything really but carbs. GRR! He is getting plenty of whole grains but pretty much nothing else. He used to be such a good eater but now just carbs and applesauce. O well...guess I'll keep trying and eventually he'll start eating something. He's such a goober.

Toplovs said...

Thanks for the hint of adding cinnamon to sweet potatoes since Ezra and Jaida love them.

I discovered that though baby jar food is easier and almost cheaper (if you buy the off brands), it really is just as easy to make several batches of something in one go. I haven't touched a jar of baby food with Ezra, but neither would I feel guilty or unhealthy if we did.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...