Mar 25, 2010

When It Rains...

Today wasn't full of sunshine like yesterday, but life was still sweet. We (read that"I") busied ourselves with dishes and laundry...but mostly just play. Since the "spring forward" time change, my life has had one major improvement....my kids sleep past 7:30 every morning - Trin and Tristan actually sleep until 8 am! I think this has been the first week in the last 3 years that I have actually laid in bed until 8 - I'm more then happy. I'm absolutely thrilled.

It's funny how some kids are just naturally early risers...no matter how late I keep mine up in the evening they always wake up at the same time - just sometimes more cranky if they didn't get a full 10 hours or so. It's been so relaxing awaking to freshly brewed coffee (thanks my love) and just sitting on the couch for thirty minutes while the kids play in the living room before breakfast. See...good things happen in the spring!

The kids enjoyed doing yoga this morning (the butterfly pose and hot air balloon are their favorites.) Watching them enjoy exercise -even though it's more play for the moment- thrills my heart. I hope my kids will always be good stewards of their bodies. I think it's funny how it's so easy to remember that God wants us to be good stewards of our money but we so easily forget that He also wants us to be good stewards of our bodies...our health...or environment. This is one reason why I really try to feed my family wholesome foods that are created by God...why I try to be mindful of plastic and overly packaging and disposable everything - waste. I'm definitely not one that believes that by me recycling a glass jar I'm going to save the universe...it's not that at all. Instead, I think that I'm doing the best I can do to not be wasteful, to make a small little difference and not be naive to the fact that our world is being flooded by mounds and mounds of trash and ugliness when it doesn't need to be that way. Being mindful and aware and really taking things in is really important to me and I'm so glad that God has given me children to share this love with. Sometimes I feel very alone in my efforts...

Brady was able to do a little schooling today (all of 10 minutes) but he enjoyed it thoroughly. I love this picture of him trying to hold his pencil correctly. Gosh...it's funny when you start "schooling" your kids and you have to figure out how to explain things that are just taken for granted...like how to hold a pencil! Brady does so well though, even though he gets upset easily when things aren't quite perfect (I don't know where in the world he learned that....)



Aren't his 4's amazing? This was only his third time trying to trace numbers...I think he's doing great. Today we were reading his insect book and I was explaining how butterflies have this little tube for a mouth that's kind of like a straw and Brady just looked at me blankly and said "their proboscis mom?" I just laughed my head off and asked where he learned that big word and he informed he it was from his insect video. I had totally forgotten that he had been watching this video...he's always playing while it's on so i didn't know that he actually was paying attention to it. Funny thing is he has only seen it a few times and it's been at least a week or so since the last time he watched it but he actually remembered that word. He cracks me up. I love incorporating fun videos like that for "science" class, and then I have a book all about the Mayflower that I'm reading to him for "history." Homeschooling is such a creative outlet...I'm loving this learning process!





Just thought I'd stick in a picture of two of my four loads of laundry that still aren't folded....just to keep it in the back of my head that there is still stuff to be done and it's 9 pm. Ahhhhh....






Today I made a batch of homemade wet wipes for Mr. Cuddles. I was reading Amy's blog yesterday and she mentioned an easy recipe that she came across for wet wipes so I thought I'd give it a go. I hate spending money on wipes and the other part i don't like is having to throw the wipe in the TRASH because I use cloth diapers and can't put them in the pail with those. The cloth wipes can be rolled up with the diaper just like disposables....plus these wipes smell AMAZING (AMAZING) and are so clean and fresh and thick and the BEST thing ever.







It was so easy. All I did was mixed 3 cups of warm water with some Dr. Bronners lavender soap, a couple drops of eucalyptus essential oil (antiseptic properties) and some orange oil and then a couple T of olive oil. Then I put a bunch of baby washcloths into a bowl and poured the solution over it. Ta daaaaaa!!!! Done in two minutes and they smell fabulous....and I actually feel like I'm cleaning the baby when I'm changing him. So nice.







Besides...how many shiny wet wipe containers have you seen? Ha ha. This bowl was perfect because I have a lid for it so I just keep it with my diaper stash.






And I almost forgot to mention that we got a lovely surprise in the mail today....a handmade knitted blankie for Koala. It's so soft and made from bamboo (?) yarn...thanks so much Mama C. Aren't the colors just lovely?








3 comments:

i cant decide said...

Looks like you had a lovely day. I have the same problem getting the laundry folded. It's a very good day if I wash and fold everything I washed on the same day.

Toplovs said...

Our weather has turned a bit dull and rainy as well. :(

Grammy said...

I'm so glad you like it! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...