Mar 5, 2012

Raspberry Cake + Sacrifice

Have you ever noticed that when you read an article about fun things to do with kids...baking is generally listed? I'm here to tell you...in my life..."baking with kids" and "fun" never come in the same sentence. I'm a control freak...I like a clean kitchen and I don't care for extra salt to be dumped into my cake batter. Also, most things that are *baked* (aka pie, cookies, and cake) generally leave me a little bloated and just a tinge bit guilty - I really like chocolate chip cookies...about 5 at a time.
The problem with all of my excuses to not cook with kids...is they have one thing in common...they are all about me - my dislikes and my needs and my lack of self control. So, for the sake of my kid's happiness and to cure winter boredom, I've come up with a few ways to make baking fun....even for the uptight of uptight mothers.
First of all, only bake with one child at a time. This can be tricky to do if you have a couple of kids (or a few in my case) but it can be done. Try baking with your toddler while the baby is napping, or if you have a couple of toddlers...set one up with a snack and maybe a movie or a game or puzzle. If my husband is home, he'll play with the other kids and allow me to have one on one time with my little chef. You can work it out if you're determined.
Next, use EASY recipes and do some of the "pre" work before you even call the child to come help (have the butter softening, layout the ingredients, maybe even pre measure ingredients.)
And last, substitute not so healthy ingredients with healthy ones. Just recently we made this raspberry cake and it turned out delicious. I used Whole Wheat Pastry Flour in place of ALL of the white flour, I used half of the sugar called for in the recipe...I replaced the oil with applesauce, and I used an entire bag of organic frozen raspberries for the top. It turned out delicious...wasn't too sweet but just perfect for a mid afternoon snack with a cup of tea.
Sacrificial love is the secret to a happy life - and you don't have to go around the world to dig a well to experience the benefits (even though if you can sacrifice your time and money to give others water...do it!) Giving of yourself in simple ways...baking with a child when you'd rather be on facebook, scratching your husband's back though you'd rather be painting your nails...is rewarding in two ways. Long term....your family will feel secure in your love and will sometimes serve you. Short term...there are usually beautiful smiles involved, happy laughter and it creates a loving atmosphere for your home. Quality time is a good thing.
I guess baking in itself doesn't have to be considered a *service* if you're the type that enjoys sweeping up pounds of flour and scrubbing at oil stains - the more power to you. I'm urging myself (and you) to go beyond my wants and desires...my general comfort...to make someone else feel loved. In our home...raspberry cake and a cup of herbal tea says "love" in a very big way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...