Feb 11, 2010

Being Creative...Not Perfectionistic

So my quest this week is to be creative with the kids. To put aside expectations and how projects should turn out and instead embrace the way they did come out. :) Easier said then done (for me at least) but I'm very happy with the way things have been going. For one, the kids have really enjoyed being let alone with a paintbrush and watercolors to make whatever they want. Trin is super fond of all the pinks and purples...Brady is just fond of turning to water a murky shade of brown.
Here's what we do if you want to try sometimes too (please do...it's so much fun!) First I take a heavy piece of paper and I let them scribble on it with a white or grey crayon. Then, brush over the paper lightly with water ( this process helps their colors to spread easier. ) Then...dip you brush in water then in the watercolors and start painting! When all done, cut out the part that looks best and make a thank you card....or a frame it...maybe make it a heart for a special Valentines for someone. The kids will feel proud and you will feel like you spent time doing something that *matters.* So fun!


As for me...I've been working on a project for myself ( and I have one in the works for a very special friend with a birthday approaching>) I've been appliqueing this tree and then will embroider the word GROW on it and then will spread it over a canvas. I have hopes of making a bird or a heart next to go with the tree...hmmm...maybe future artwork for Trin's room? I love spreading words around my house in random places...that way while I'm going about my day I can be encouraged just by looking at a pillow...or something on the wall...even on my arm where I write Scripture. What do you do to encourage yourself?
We made Valentine's cookies a couple of days ago and they turned out really well. Here's the recipe that I used and modified....so I'll title them as my own. :)
Alyssa's Sweet Cut Outs

1 cup of butter
1 cup of sugar
1 egg
1 tsp of vanilla
1/4 tsp of salt
2 tsp of baking powder
1 cup of wheat flour
2 cups of white flour
Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients with 1 cup of flour at a time, blending well with each cup. Chill cookie dough for 1 hour. Roll to about 1/4 inch thick and cut into desired shapes. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool.
I then make a icing using 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 - 2 T of milk. Add the milk very slowly so that you don't make the mixture too thin. I also like to add an extract to kind of go with the season...I used almond for the heart cookies...peppermint is nice for Christmas cookies...sometimes lemon for summer cut outs. About 1/8 of a tsp should do it with extract! Enjoy!

5 comments:

Summey Life said...

Ok so I LOVE the pic you decided to put at the top of your page! I also super love the tree that you are making. It is so cute! I wish that I were as creative as you. It is something that I am going to try to work on this year. We'll see if anything comes of it. lol.

Zac said...

Alyssa, I love your creative mind, and I love that you have passed that on to our kids. I love you baby!

Anne said...

I love the new heading picture! Looks really cheery and homey - Just like you!

Rockin' Robin said...

I agree with everyone else...that is one of my VERY favorite pics of you! I'm so glad you're using it! It is truly "magazine cover" worthy!

Toplovs said...

Those cookies sure look delicious. Thanks for posting a tried and true recipe. It may be too late for V-day, but who needs an excuse to decorate, bake and eat yummy cookies.

Indeed, the updated blog looks great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...